It's Your Period & Environmenstrual
WEN'S ENVIRONMENSTRUAL #PERIODSWITHOUTPLASTIC CAMPAIGN IS AIMING TO LEAD A UK REVOLUTION FOR HEALTHY ECO-FRIENDLY MENSTRUAL PRODUCTS.
In the UK, every woman uses an average of over 11,000 disposable menstrual products in her reproductive lifetime. Tampons, pads and panty liners generate more than 200,000 tonnes of waste per year, and they all contain plastic - in fact, pads are around 90% plastic - which ends up in landfill or, even worse, in seas and rivers. In 2010, a UK beach clean found an average of 23 sanitary pads and 9 tampon applicators per kilometre of British coastline. Non-organic sanitary products are made from cotton that was sprayed with chemical pesticides, which destroy biodiversity and cause potentially lethal pesticide poisoning in cotton workers.
Conventional disposable menstrual products are bleached white, and this process creates the chemical dioxin, which is linked to immune system suppression, reproductive issues and cancer. Tampons can leave microscopic fibres in vaginal tissue, causing tiny cuts and creating a breeding ground for the bacteria that causes Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS), which can be fatal. The absorbency of tampons also causes less serious but very unpleasant problems, upsetting the natural pH balance of the vagina and drying it out, which leads to discomfort, itching, rashes and infections.
KEY AREAS OF THE CAMPAIGN:
- WEN is running Environmenstrual Workshops in schools and universities - book a workshop now!
- Environmenstrual Coalition - bringing activists, organisations and businesses together with the mission of making healthy and eco-friendly menstrual products affordable and available to all - join the coalition
- Environmenstrual Week of Action - Commencing 13th October, a nationwide week of action, we will collectively be shout out about Periods and the Environment. Coalition members, community groups and individuals will be holding events and activities - you name it, to shout out about periods - find out more
- Encouraging women and people that menstruate to give #PeriodsWithoutPlastic a go.
- £5 voucher to spend at www.huglifeliving.com Subscription Box with discount code PlasticFree40
- 10% off the following award winning Organicups with discount code PlasticFree10
- 1 x Organicup Size A or Size B
- 1 x Organicup Size A or Size B with 1 x tube of OrganiWash
- Any Organicup Starterpack
Just add the discount code at the checkout.